Globalization, digitalization and mobile communication with high bandwidth in combination with an „always-online“ mentality lead (besides other factors) to a dynamic, ambitious working environment, which makes it increasingly difficult, to maintain an adequate work life balance.
Beyond classical/practical methods and techniques, such as time management, prioritization or delegation for managing your workload there are four essential factors, which have a positive impact on your work life balance:
1. Health, fitness and physical well-being
2. Social backing (family, circle of friends and acquaintances)
3. The autonomy to shape your life on your own responsibility
4. An attractive perspective for the further development of your life
The first two factors are „no-brainers“. If you are ill or lonely without social liasons, this has self-speaking a negative impact on your well-being and your capacity to perform. The third and fourth factor are worth to spend some thoughts on:
- The autonomy, to shape your life on your on responsibility, means in the reverse conclusion, that you are not forced to carry out a particular employment. Instead, you have the choice and can decide on your own, what you want to do and how you want to spend your life. Even though displeasing employments cannot always be avoided, it is at least a good feeling to carry them out on a voluntary basis and not because you are forced to do so.
- An attractive perspective for the further development of your life should not prevent the ZEN buddhists amongst us, to seize the day („carpe diem“). However mid- to long term goals may give your life a meaning and usually increase your motivation, because you work for something important and attractive.
Does this make sense to you? What about your autonomy and perspective?
German version of this blog: https://kubraconsult.blog/2017/01/18/vier-wichtige-faktoren-fuer-eine-angemessene-work-life-balance/
4 Kommentare zu „Four essential factors for an adequate work life balance“